As Oct.31st draws near shortly, many will be rushing around to find the perfect details for their costume. Others are still trying to figure out what character they want to emulate for an evening. I don’t know about you, but I’m so over the regular-character-turned-trashy costumes that a lot of women tend to wear. I’ve often felt that this one day is an excuse for some women to dress overtly sexy, wear very tight clothing and reveal more than anyone needs to see in an attempt to attract the attention of men and strut their stuff. I’m sure their rebuttal would be that it’s ‘just a costume’ and only for a night but how we dress says a lot about our character-whether it’s a day in the life of someone else via costume or a day at the office.
Classy women don’t dress scantily clad in costume or in real life. They don’t feel the need to wear an ultra push up bra to put their ‘goods’ on display or wear super short mini skirts or shorts that barely cover their goods, instead revealing far too much. We’ve seen this time and time again with the sexy nurse, maid or sailor costume, but it’s taken a turn for the worse as women try to vamp up every costume now. You can see this in everything from bumblebees to Little Red Riding Hood, it seems nothing is exempt. This is especially true if you’re looking for a store-bought costume as you’ll find most are geared towards young women and apparently costume manufacturers think all women want to dress in this manner.
For those that are still struggling to come up with a great costume that lets you be yourself and allows your creative mind to shine, instead of your womanly assets, here are a few that I think you might like.
1. Audrey Hepburn-Audrey was not only beautiful but fun. She is best known for her role as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, her attire is classic and elegant which makes a great costume. Here’s the perfect dress to get you started that you can wear long after the party is over, this dress is a favorite of mine.
11. Martha Stewart- If you’re a DIY-er, avid entertainer, you love to cook/bake or are crafter at heart, this is a great option. A crisp white button-down shirt is a must!
12. Oprah (with or without Steadman)- She is classy, entertaining, engaging and who wouldn’t want to live in her shoes for a day?
13. Mary Poppins- This costume can mostly be assembled with what you have on hand-long coat, umbrella, hat, oversized handbag, etc. If this was a favorite movie as a kid-why not?
14. Nun- This is a great idea for a solo costume or going out as a group with other women.
15. Kate Middleton- She is effortless in her style, modest and a real life Princess. If you’re a mother to an infant, pushing a vintage baby pram would be the perfect accessory. She is know for wearing royal and navy blue shift dresses often. Here are a couple that epitomize her style (here and here) *Update: I had to add this one since she married Prince William after I originally wrote this post.
A friend recently told me that someone she knows is going out as the house (complete with tied balloons) from the Disney Pixar movie “UP”. How cute and unique is that?!
Below are some pre-made classy costumes for women, if you do not have the time or inclination to gather all the necessary pieces for your costume. Click on any image and be taken to the direct item:
These can be a lot of fun at parties. There are so many great ideas for couples.
If you wanted a laugh or to push the envelope a little bit among adults, this outlet & plug costume (also found here) does have some sexual innuendo (although I admittedly didn’t realize it at first) but doesn’t require you to reveal any skin at all.
Similarly you could arrive as a salt & pepper shaker set, bacon and eggs shown above (also here and here) OR fork + spoon. You get the idea….
The possibilities are endless for couples’ costumes. There are so many movie, book and TV-inspired pairs to emulate for the night. Here are a few classic ideas:
1. Fred & Wilma Flintstone
2. Popeye & Olive Oyle
3. Bonnie & Clyde
4. Batman & Batgirl
5. Lois & Clark of Superman
6. Romeo & Juliet
7. Beauty & The Beast
8. Don Draper & Joan Holloway of Madmen
9. Noah & Allie of The Notebook
10. President Barack Obama & First Lady Michelle Obama-The first lady always looks regal and well put together. She is best known for her fit & flare A-line dresses (like this one OR this one, here’s an affordable dress I just bought) which flatter her figure whether she’s wearing high end designer or J.Crew.
Below, you’ll find some cute ready made costumes for couples, click any link to get the details at from the direct site.
By creating a DIY costume vs. purchasing a ready made version from a store you can also better control the overall look, customization and cost, and it will up the originality factor.
What is the best costume idea you’ve ever come up with for yourself, as a couple? What are your thoughts on how provocatively women dress while in costume?
Thanks for stopping by!